Saturday, July 29, 2006

First Blog Critique





I've offered to do some blog critiques. My first victim is Tiffany. :) First of all...I love this photo. I love the girls expression. It fits well with the dark background and the black and white editing. The cropping is a little tough with this one. The legs are cut off, which Tiff knows. :) Since she didn't get the feet in the frame, I would do a closer crop. The example that I show gives it a vertical composition and the legs aren't cut in half. Now...everyone may not prefer this crop, so I would love any opinions, and I'm sure that Tiff would love opinions as well. I also got rid of some of the white specks in the background, to simplify it a bit more. The only other suggestion that I would have is to lighten the iris of the eye, just a touch, so that the viewer can see the difference between the pupil and the iris.
The photo is gorgeous. The black and white tones are deep and rich, wich I love. The girl is adorable in her tutu, and I love the off center crop. It will be fun if we could get some more opinions/critiques on this. It will be a good way to learn...for all of us. :)


Dale Ann has kindly offerered one of her photos for critique. Once again...I love this photo. She looks so comfortable. Her pose, her smile, I can hear her laughter. The only problem that I had with this photo is the crop. It seemed a bit static since she was right in the center. The only changes that I made to this photo is the crop.

I'm not sure how to put these photos, in the blog, so for reference, Tiff's photo is the mono, and Dale Anne's is color.

5 Comments:

Blogger tiffani sunshine said...

WOW Jessica!!!! I LOVE IT!!! Your crop adds so much drama by focusing on her face and expression and by eliminating all of the other distracting elements (i.e. chopped off limbs!!!). It also brings the rule of thirds into play (which was seriously lacking in the first version!) making it way more visually appealing! I never thought to get rid of the white specks in the background. The entire image looks "polished" in my opinion! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and hopefully others will learn from this as I have. A lot of times it's easy to have on "blinders" when you work on your own stuff but an extra set of eyes can be worth a million bucks! You rock!:)

11:57 PM  
Blogger dale ann cubbage said...

Bravo, Jessica & Tiffani! Love this image to begin with, the slight angle is fun, and her expression is priceless! I agree, the tighter crop works really well adding visual impact and strength to the image. Plus, you get closer to that adorable face. I love the highlights in the eyes, really brightens up her face since the tones are so dark. I do love the dark tones, the bw conversion is so dramatic and edgy. Love it!!

Great work to both of you!! I can't wait to have one critiqued by you!!

da

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome job to both of you. I agree completely with the tighter composition.

12:56 AM  
Blogger dale ann cubbage said...

Thanks Jessica! You nailed it! That's what was bothering me about it, she was too centered! It took someone else looking at it for me to SEE IT!

Thanks girl!
da

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am astounded by the difference a crop can make. Jessica, you may be sorry you've opened yourself up to this. You may be inundated w/pictures. I can't wait to choose one to send in. Love both pictures. Hooray to Tiffani, Dale Ann and Jessica!

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home